Monday, December 1, 2008

The Way of the Shaman

I just finished reading The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. I am already quite familiar with shamanism, mostly from a local shamanic group I was a part of for five years. I've also read all of Carlos Castaneda's books, as well as those of his cohorts, and a number of other books on the subject. I read this book in preparation for a new shamanic circle I was thinking of joining, because the woman who leads the group recommended that I do so.

I had seen this book in bookstores, but it never really appealed to me. It seemed a bit dry and intellectual. In fact it is almost thirty years old, and it is somewhat dated (especially the illustrations). However, I was pleasantly surprised at how engaging and informative it is. The book is not an entertaining read like Castaneda's, but this is because it is much more grounded in reality (rather than drama) and is based upon actual shamanic tradition from several cultures. It is a great basic introduction to shamanism, which is why it is considered a classic, yet there is enough material in it to make it an interesting read for those who have mostly read about or experienced today's largely "New Age" version of shamanism (for example, Alberto Villoldo's books and programs). So although I didn't love the book, I found it engaged my interest and I enjoyed learning some new perspectives on shamanism based on various global cultures.

No comments: