Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Media-Free Tuesdays

Although it is difficult to think about much else other than the election today, I am somewhat detached from it right now, because I haven't watched TV or listened to the radio or read any newspapers all day. My partner and I have designated Tuesdays to be "media-free" day for our household. Every week we set aside Tuesday as the day we take a break from magazines, movies, and video games, in addition to the media I already mentioned. We allow ourselves to use the computer to conduct business as needed, but otherwise we keep the computer use to a minimum. I allow myself to listen to music, but my partner doesn't even do that.

Media-free day was originally my partner's idea, and I was enormously skeptical at first. I agreed to do it once, and then I would decide if I would keep doing it with him. The first time was a little bit strange, but I got so much done! Now I've grown to really like it. It's the day I pay bills, mow the lawn, do laundry, and do any other errands I would otherwise avoid. It flies by, and I always have such a great feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. After dinner, we read books for an hour or two, and go to bed at a reasonable hour. It's all very peaceful and relaxing.

When Wednesday morning comes, though, we are right back online, reading about what we "missed" on Tuesday. That's part of the fun of media-free day as well...it helps us to appreciate the resources we have available to us the other six days of the week. I'm certainly hoping for good news tomorrow!!

No comments: