Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sacred Contracts - Choosing Archetypes

Yesterday I wrote about the basic concepts behind the Sacred Contracts system authored by Caroline Myss. Today I'll write a little bit about my own experience selecting my archetypes. To do this, I followed the guidelines in the book and on the website. Although some of my archetypes were immediately obvious, it was difficult to come up with eight (in addition to the basic four that everyone has). It took several passes through the descriptions of the archetypes, and a lot of contemplation on which ones might apply to my life, and why.

When I started this process, I decided I wanted to work with one of the "Sacred Contract Consultants" that are listed on Caroline's website. These people have undertaken an extensive program of study at Caroline's CMED Institute, and I liked the idea of working with an expert on this project. I was already familiar with the book, and my first thought was that I would cast my own archetype chart, and then meet with the consultant to help me with insights on my particular combination of archetypes and houses. When I discussed this with her, however, she recommended that we work together even on the selection of archetypes, because often we have archetypes in our Contract that we don't really want to see or deal with. This immediately made sense to me, since I was already having difficulty coming up with eight.

What happened next may be a turn-off to some people, but I thought it was exciting. I emailed my list of archetypes, along with a few possible alternatives, to the consultant. She analyzed all of them, using a pendulum to determine their energy level in association with me. I didn't know she was going to do this, and at first I bristled at the archetypes that she rejected from my list based on her work with the pendulum. However, I decided to go with it.

What was also interesting is that she suggested an archetype back to me (The Warrior) that I had not considered. The pendulum showed a lot of energy with me and this archetype. At first I resisted the suggestion, but it is actually one I really like. I just didn't see how it applied to my own life pattern. Later, I unexpectedly came across some notes I had written 6 years ago when I first read Sacred Contracts, and I found that I had chosen The Warrior for myself back then! I had even written out my thoughts on why. It was a striking synchronicity. There were several other synchronous moments during the process, which I will continue to write about.

No comments: