Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Caroline Myss

Caroline Myss is exceptionally gifted. She is a medical intuitive, author of several excellent books, and a captivating speaker. I first heard her speak over 20 years ago, when I was a freshman at the University of Massachusetts (Amherst). I was taking a class called Biology of Cancer (soon to be called Biology of Cancer and AIDS) with Professor Albey Reiner, a life-changing class for me. Professor Reiner presented both the scientific underpinnings of cancer, its causes, and its treatment, as well as perspectives from alternative health (a little more about him and the class here). One of the speakers he invited to the class was Caroline Myss, who at that point had only co-written a book called The Creation of Health. The day she spoke to the class I was spellbound, and immediately became a life-long fan. At the time I obviously had no idea how big she was to become in the New Age world.

Almost 15 years after I first heard her speak, I was in New York on a business trip. I was feeling dissatisfied with my job and my life, and was browsing in a small bookstore in SoHo, when I picked up her book Anatomy of the Spirit. I went back to my hotel room and started reading, and it blew my mind. The next day I finished the book on the plane, and the following day I walked into my boss's office and quit. A few months later I moved to Los Angeles, and for the next two years steered my life in an infinitely better direction. I am so grateful to Caroline for the inspiration this book gave me.

Since then I read two more of her books, Why People Don't Heal and How They Can, and Sacred Contracts. I couldn't get through all of Sacred Contracts, and put Caroline out of my mind for a few years. Then, about 3 months ago, I was again browsing through a book store and this time I picked up her latest book, Entering the Castle. After reading the first few pages, I decided to approach this book as a workbook, doing all of the exercises she recommends without reading ahead. Again, as a result of this woman's influence, my life is undergoing a huge shift.

I'll write more about Caroline Myss and my experiences with her books. In the meantime, I highly recommend any of her books, audio, video, and/or workshops. She also has a great website with lots of free content.

No comments: