Wednesday, October 29, 2008

INFP

I am an INFP in the Myers-Briggs personality type system. Here is a short description from the Myers-Briggs website:

INFP
Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

I first discovered the Myers-Briggs types years ago when I came across the book Do What You Are, by Paul Tieger and Barbara Barron. You don't need to take the official MBTI test (for which you must pay) in order to figure out what type you are - I learned my type just by reading the short descriptions in this book. You will almost certainly recognize yourself and easily determine which of the 16 types you are. Alternatively, there are several places online where you can read descriptions (such as www.typelogic.com) or take a modified test for free. This is my profile from www.mypersonality.info:

Click to view my Personality Profile page

The Myers-Briggs is an incredible tool for self-discovery and self-understanding. I was completely blown away when I first learned about it. It explained so much about the way I see the world and the challenges I face. It can help you to understand other people who are different than you, and why they act the way they do. I found it helped me to be more compassionate toward myself and other people. For example, I finally understood why my "crazy" sister loves having parties and meeting new people and going out all the time. She is an extrovert. I dread going to parties and need lots of time alone. I am an introvert. These are innate characteristics we are born with, and that we also share with other people who have this particular element in their personality. Check it out!

No comments: