Friday, October 31, 2008

Honor Your Ancestors

Halloween is a perfect time to honor your ancestors. I dedicate today's post to my paternal grandmother Emilia, who died before I was born. I have felt her with me lately, especially when I cook. Her family was from Genoa, Italy, and I think of her every time I make pesto, because Genoa is where it originated. I always feel my grandmother is happy when I am making pesto.

I know she was an excellent cook, so I call upon her to help me when I am in the kitchen. This is something I just started doing recently, and I am amazed at the results. I can cook, but I do not improvise well in the kitchen. I prefer precise guidance when I cook, and therefore I am more of a baker than a general cook. So when I recently attempted to make a pork roast without a recipe, I called upon my grandmother to help me. I seasoned the roast with fresh garlic, sage, and rosemary, along with salt and pepper. It came out so good, and I know it is because she helped. I've attempted to make pork roast in the past, and it was always a bit dull and overcooked. She's helped me to make a few other things too that I wasn't sure how to prepare, and the results have been excellent every time!

Happy Samhain!

No comments: